Friday, July 18, 2014

Experience as a Vet assistant

MUAHAHAHA.
You can't imagine how happy I was, to be able to work as a vet assistant.
It was always my dream to work in a vet, from Form 4 onwards I have been looking forward to work part time at that place. Always get super excited even when I pass cross the vet clinic's door (used to peek when I'm in the car) Teehee.

Now, now , let me tell you how it begin.
After graduating from Matric and not doing anything, I decided to bring up this issue again with my dad. ( I've been complaining nothing to do at home and always wanted to feel what it really is to be a vet) and...... after endless annoying complains and nags from me, my dad bears with me and finally agree to put it a visit to the vet. (smile. :) )

look something like this. eheheh
And my dad was serious about it. Since I was nagging on that morning, he decided we straight go there after breakfast.
(OMG can't imagine this is happening )
I trailed behind him ( too scared to show my face and say I want to work here :S) when he went in.
It must have been a hectic start for the vet because there were many patients there.
There was one guy took his very calm Golden Retriver and he was chatting about how well-behaved is his dog. Another person was handling a Poodle (ehy don't really remember a guy or girl holding the dog :S) (I was nervous >.<)
A much more bigger German Shepherd was inside the counselling room with his master and his caretaker. Inside the vet and his assistant was dealing it... and.... suddenly the vet came out and ask us, whether there is anything he can help. And the story goes, dad request a position to work here and coincidently the vet also need a clerk.

Heheheheh, and that's how I made it into the vet!
Awesome experience!
Get to observe and be in the surgery room for surgeries like spaying and neutering, Haematoma ear cut and removing small tumour.
It really send chills to my spine when I had my first experience to borrow a hand to be the "anaesthetics " and get to check attentively the breathing of the patient from time to time. Blood spills and emergency condition happened during the surgery. I'm scared.
This is how Haematoma ear surgery looks like

On the other hand, it is a wonderful moment when you get to see these patients recover and gets back to their owners safely. Smile and gratitude they felt to the vet is indescribable. It is really amazing to see patients recovers from dog distemper and Parvovirus. ( which is know very contagious and dangerous for young pups )

Yes! Vaccination is needed to prevent distemper and Parvovirus. ( Don't worry, They won't be so suffering when injection lah )


However, there are some downside of the day despite the hard effort and attentive care given by the vet, the owners are irresponsible as some of them runs away with their pets without paying for the recovery, some even ask for discounts ( refllecting back on what they ask for, do you ever watch people ask for discounts in hospital? Some even after major surgeries? You think it is a sales in supermarket is it? Why will all these owners have opinions like these? Is it because they overlook that it is actually a life too? Does life comes cheaper when it is a animal's ? ) It gets me angry the thought of these owners.

After a month of being a volunteer there (yes I don't have any salary or watsoever ), I decided to take a brake! Thanks and I really apprecitate the chance given for me to be there. To try something I always wanted to. Feel like a dream come true. Hehehe <3

Forgot to mention: I got to hug those cute doggies and cats, cut their nails and play with them! They are super cuteeee especially those small pups and kittens!



Oh! Look that Corgi! :P

1 comment: